Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Three Door Boarding

260607
Great...the overcrowded bus I take to work is difficult to board during regular term time. It's not so bad right now since there are few students on campus, but during the year, often as many as four or five buses will breeze past because they're too full to pick up more passengers.

Now they've gone to 3 Door Boarding which came into effect yesterday along with all buses being fare-paid zones (this I think is a good things. Too many bus drivers have been assaulted because of fares).

The problem with 3 Door Boarding is that it effectively erases any semblance of a line. On those mornings when the bus doesn't stop, at my stop a kind-of-line forms (one stop east a real line forms), but when you open all three doors, it negates the line and potentially means someone who has been waiting for 20 minutes might not get on, but someone who just arrives and happens to be at the back door will get on.

I think I'm in a complaining mood because this isn't really an issue for me. During the term, I tend to take a trolley bus anyway. They may take about 5-10 minutes longer from my house to work, but I don't watch them drive past with no room for passengers, so it actually makes my commute shorter than taking the express bus.

p365-177-07

No comments: