Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Traffic Jam

050208
I had one of those mornings today where nothing seemed to go right. I had to pick some supplies up at the book store on the way to the office and since it doesn't open until 9:30, I got to sleep in a few extra minutes and leave the house later. And I did. And I was pretty much on time. And then I walked out the front door of the building and saw this. And got very wet. There were eight express buses and five or six trolleys in the two blocks in front of our house. And they just kept coming. I probably stood there for almost ten minutes with my mouth wide open, not sure how to get to work. Apparently the power lines in the next block where down across the street.

So I called work and said I'd get there when I could and went back upstairs to listen to the radio and see what was going on and think...about how the heck I was going to get to work. I had thought I'd just walk around it and catch a a bus on the other side, but then my still half asleep brain clicked in and I realized that once I got around the mess, the buses would still be stuck in front of our building. That's when I looked out the window and saw that the buses were now being re-routed down Burrard and up 4th Avenue. So off I went, in the wrong direction, jumped on a bus and probably got to work a lot faster since the bus didn't stop except to let people out (and there was a whole 6 people on the bus) until it got back on its normal route.

Oh they joys of public transit!

p365-36-08

No comments: