Saturday, April 11, 2009

Bye-Bye Butterfly

110409
Okay, so I have too much stuff. I'm a pack rat (see #19). I fully admit it. But in the last year and a bit I've been getting better at getting rid of stuff.

I've been applying the follow criteria and I slowly move through our house (which has much less stuff in it because we've moved twice in the past 18 months...the pack rat in me still laments the Blue House because if we didn't have to leave it and its gloriously huge basement storage room, I could have kept ALL that stuff! But it's good that it's gone.) So the questions are:
  • Do I love this item?
  • Have I used it in the past year?
  • Is it really garbage?
  • Do I have another one that is better?
  • Should I really keep two?
  • Does it have sentimental value that causes me to love it?
  • Does it give me guilt and make me sad when I see the item?
And it's working. I also read an article in Real Simple that suggested taking pictures of things that you like but have no use/space for...

Anyway, this little butterfly decorated my room when I was in England the second time. And it's time for it go live somewhere else. I'll miss it...maybe...but more likely I won't notice that it's gone...

Off to declutter some more!

p365-101-09

No comments: